Thursday, February 17, 2011

Famous!!

OH MY GOD I HAD SO MUCH FUN TONIGHT!!!!!

Sevilla vs Porto game....increíble!!!

Angela, Christie, Liz, Kelly and I all went together to our very first Spanish fútbol game--they are the world champions, so you can't go to Spain without going to a game. Probably one of the best decisions of 2011 (it's only February, beeteedubbs). We all purchased Sevilla scarves to wear to the game (red & white). SE-VILL-A

We got to see both teams drive up in their big buses, and while the teams were unloading, a TV crew asked our group to "be really animated and cheer for Sevilla" for the camera. First time on the TV in Sevilla tonight. We screamed and cheered and smiled and everyone was happy-'woo we'll be on TV'.

Picked up our tickets at the booth and then went to eat our bocadillos (sandwiches) at Starbucks. Walking back to the game, the TV crew asked two friends and me to conduct an interview. Response? Shock. Out comes the camera, and worse, the microphone. My two friends book it out of there, and I, being in the middle, am stuck with a microphone, a camera, and a Spaniard in my face. Oh boy. Spanish, don't fail me now!

The following interview has been translated from Spanish to English, and was later broadcasted on television:

Spaniard: Are you sevillista? (*Note: there are two fútbol teams in Sevilla: Sevilla y Bétis. "Una sevillista" is a Sevilla fan)

Me: Sí, sí claro!

Spaniard: Do you speak Spanish?

Me, laughing: Sí, but it's a process. I'm learning!

Spaniard: Bueno. Who is your favorite player on the team.

Me, having no idea, but remembering a name Kevin Michael told me: Alfonsi

Spaniard: Oh, really? The new one?

Me: I don't know. (*Forgetting to hold my tongue) My brother plays a videogame called Fifa World Cup, and he's a really good player on the game.

Meanwhile, as I'm trying to think of a way to dig myself out of the hole I'm currently burying myself in, one of my friends swoops in and two Porto fans run in front of the camera waving around their blue scarves and taunting the cameramen and me. My friend and I fake fight them and yell SE-VILL-A and then in the midst of all confusion, I make a mad dash/graceful exit.

How exhilarating!

Within the first five minutes of the game, I knew I answered wrong with "Alfonsi".
Number 2, Fazio, is definitely my favorite. Tall, wide shoulders, and a beautiful butt. We didn't even have close seats and we could tell he had the best butt on the field. My friends and I were drooling. Number 17, Sanchez, played pretty well too.


Notes on fútbol games in Spain:
  • Love listening to the Sevilla anthem. Something about an entire stadium singing together always makes me emotional. The stadium comes alive with the cheers and the songs.
  • Not many women go to the games. First time in my life that the women's line for the bathroom was shorter than the line for the men's (even at half time).
  • I have never heard so many swears in two hours in my life. So many swears sung at the top of the lungs. And I don't even know many swear words in Spanish. Imagine if I did.
  • Even if your team loses, the game is still super fun. Final score: 2-1 Porto.
I plan I making fútbol a weekly tradition in my life. I hope to catch at least one more game in the stadium and hopefully watch all the games in the bars with españoles.

Post pictures soon :)

1 comment:

  1. You go, girl! I always knew you'd be famous someday! XXXOOO Aunt Valorie

    ReplyDelete